Monday, November 26, 2007

How will she ever survive???

Well, it finally happened. Katelyn fell off the bed. It was Thanksgiving night. I have to admit that even when having all those conversations with seasoned moms who said it happened to everyone, I was secretly thinking, "Not me. I'm so careful." Ha! The sad thing is that when I put her down on my mom's bed (we went through her bedtime routine over there) and stacked the pillows around her, I said to Brent, "Check on her very often, because she can fall off the bed." Yes, those words came out of my mouth and I still left her on the bed. She cried, well screamed, for a few minutes-real tears came out too! Heart wrenching! I cried for a while longer (I'm tearing up now just thinking about it! :). She was eventually deemed okay, and I was reassured by my sister, sister-in-law, and mother that Katelyn was not the only baby to have fallen off the bed and no, there would not be any permanent damage - to her anyway. She can also still say "bye bye" and wave, which she had just learned the day before.
Then, yesterday Katelyn had some paint. She was riding along in the cart like a big girl- just holding on and looking around acting all nonchalant. Then when I grabbed the paint can and went to push the buggy, Miss Priss grabs the can, pulls it to her mouth and puts a big tongue swipe on it! So we lose the can and run the bathroom - Katelyn with her big paint smudged grin and head bobbing as I fly over the bumps with the shopping cart - and wash the paint off her tongue. I was pretty upset until I realized that this is probably the reason they don't make paint with lead anymore.

3 comments:

Speaking from the Heart said...

I am glad Katelyn is all right. When Katherine was 8months old, Mark flipped the grocery cart over with Katherine in it. The cashier was afraid that Katherine might have had broken a bone or had a concussion. She called an ambulance to the scene. While my baby was riding in the abulance by herself, Mark and I following her in our car.

Fortunately, Katherine did not have any broken bones. That's just one of many falls she had while she was a baby. The other time She fell out of her backpack at Disney World.
I hope these stories make feel better.

Jean

Mandy said...

I agree with Jean - you know the old wives' tale, something to the effect of "when they fall of the bed, that means they'll live a long and prosperous life. Issa will be old and rich. She fell off twice... :)

Jenn said...

I figure if we survived our childhood our kids will survive. :) She's TOUGH she can handle it. I think it hurts Mommy and Daddy more than the baby. Unfortunately there are many more boo boos to come. Stay strong Mom!

See you tomorrow night.