Sunday, January 20, 2008

Life is so precious

I found out today that Bronner Burgess, son of Rick Burgess died yesterday. Rick Burgess is the co-host of a morning radio show, Rick and Bubba. When my pastor announced it at church, there was an audible gasp. It has stayed with me all day today. I don't know if it is because I am familiar with the victim (if only through stories) or if it is because I now have a child of my own. Most likely it is a combination of both. My immediate response was to pray for the Burgess family, but for what? I mean what do you need after the loss of a child? I can't imagine. I just prayed for the Lord's presence at this time. I didn't know what else to ask for.
As I have thought more and more about it today, I thought more about one of the things that drew me to their show: Rick and Bubba are both Christians. They speak about it on a regular basis. I went to their website and found this message:

We ask that you bathe Rick, Sherri, and the entire Burgess family in
prayer as they deal with the loss of their youngest son, Bronner Burgess. We all
are grieving together in this terrible loss. The Burgess's want to give all
Honor and Glory to GOD for the many blessings He has given us, especially the
life of Bronner Burgess. And while we do not understand, we know who is in
charge and His will be done in life and in death.

Wow! Could I have that kind of faith? In that situation? I hope so!
I also thought about my precious little Katelyn. After church, I hugged her and held her so tightly-as I am sure many parents did. I have been thinking of that little two year old child and his last moments. I only know that he drowned, apparently from falling into the family pool. How horrible for him! I think about Katelyn. Will I be able to protect her from all the dangers of the world? I pray for her protection, but will it be enough? Every time I have looked at my sweet Katelyn's face today, I have thought about little Bronner Burgess. My heart aches for that family. I know there is nothing I can do to change things for the Burgess family, and I know that my life will go on even as theirs is still standing still, but for right now, tonight, I am sharing a tiny portion of their pain.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: